Your Path to Becoming a Firefighter
So you want to become a firefighter but have no clue where to start. Well, we won't lie. It's a tough path, and your odds of success are slim. But you can improve your chances by following our training program.
In a nutshell, here's how it works:
Step 2: Learn firefighter basics
You'll learn the basics of becoming a firefighter by meeting with our team of FireVets twice a month in two different settings:
1) Mentorship meetings
What: We'll introduce you to:
- Firefighter culture
- How to prepare for the test to become a firefighter
- The interview process for becoming a firefighter
When: First Monday of every month at 6 PM.
Where: Phoenix Fire Department Training Academy located at 2425 W. Lower Buckeye Road, Phoenix, AZ 85009
2) Firefighter workouts
What: You'll learn the difference between being fit and firefighter fit in our firefighter-specific workouts. Workouts include:
- Weightlifting and cardio
- Skills courses while wearing fire fighter equipment
Make sure to bring water and PT clothes. Your membership fee will cover all gym costs.
When: Second Friday of every month at 6 PM.
Where: The Great Ape Gym located at 1720 W. Buchanan Phoenix, Arizona 85007. You can also workout at firefighter stations around the Valley.
Step 3: Customize, intensify, and connect
Once you've been in the program awhile, we ramp things up for you by:
- Customizing your interviewing skills to meet your individual needs
- Intensifying the test prep
- Intensifying the physical fitness workouts
- Connecting you with a mentor (veteran firefighter) so you can go on ride alongs to see what the job is really like
Step 4: Test and reassess
It's D-Day: You'll test and interview at the Phoenix Fire Department (or other department). If you don't pass, we'll reassess your physical fitness so you can improve for next time.